Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Days 1 and 2 - Amalfi, Italy

View from the hotel room
I arrived in Amalfi, Italy yesterday after what felt like the worst journey of all time. Eight hours of turbulence on the flight from NYC to Rome, a long wait at the train station in Rome for the train to Naples, and then a two hour drive through the mountains to Amalfi. The scenery during the drive was amazing - we were literally going up and down mountains on winding roads the entire time. The coastline was gorgeous. The only problem was that there was a thunderstorm the entire time and I was sure we would skid off the side of the mountain at any minute. The driver seemed less concerned, only adding to my stress.

I'm staying at an amzing cliff-side hotel and am lucky enough to have a balcony looking out over the coast. The weather has not been cooperating though, and it has been windy and raining.

The weather let up enough today for me to go into the town of Amalfi and check out the amazing cathedral that dates back to the 12th Century and has the bones of St. Andrew in its crypt (or something like that - I was trying to discern the signs that were in Italian using my less-than-proficient level of Spanish). I walked around the main piazza and through the narrow streets. Tourist season has ended here and so you can really get a sense of what the town is like. It's really beautiful - there are lemon trees everywhere, the streets are brick and cobblestone, and the buildings are all old and painted in different bright colors. Because of the weather I was unable to go to Capri as I had planned, but it was great to relax here in Amalfi for a couple of days. And the food has been amazing. The best fresh mozzarella and basil pesto I have ever had. Not to mention the nutella gelato. And let's be honest, half the reason for this trip was the food.








Tomorrow I head to Rome - more from there to come. And yes, I plan on using the phrase "When in Rome" at some point.

4 comments:

  1. Nutella in all of its forms is magical. And, let's face it, when are trips not about food? So glad that you are blogging so that we can stalk you :)

    When you get to Roma, remember that the wine is probably the same price (if not cheaper than) as bottled water...it's a good excuse to have good wine at every meal of the day without feeling like an acoholic. Just tell yourself that you are "on a budget". Plus, that's what they do in Rome! As for the driving, you'll have to get used to it. The Romans put Ecuadorians to shame when it comes to bad driving and parking. Please take many more pictures (hopefully some with you IN them).

    ¡Buen viaje!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Caro - I know, why isn't Nutella a bigger deal in America? Probably because its French or something. And yes, way ahead of you on the wine thing - people can seriously drink in this town. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete